[HM] iMac

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:58:18 PST 2002

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 12:15  AM, Jane Sprando wrote:

> So I got a price with freebies. Then called MacMall and got their
> prices
> with more freebies. They are about $200 cheaper, with shipping. The
> question
> is: should I buy local or mail order? My husband thinks local is
> better in
> case something  goes wrong. He also thinks that I may be able to get
> them to
> either lower the price or throw in more stuff.

I'd agree with your husband on that. It wouldn't hurt to take a
printout of what your considering from MacMall to the local dealer and
ask them what they can do. Don't forget to add in the price of shipping
though.

For all of our major electronics/appliance purchases I've gone to the
big chain stores to find what we wanted and wrote down model numbers
and prices. Then I go to the locally owned/operated stores and show
them what I've found and ask what they can do. I can't think of a
single instance where they haven't met, or even beaten the "chain
store" deals. Haven't tried that yet with internet deals, but that's
next.

-Mike