[HM] upgrading to 9.2 (IMac)

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Sun Aug 17 13:07:43 PDT 2003

--- At Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:32:58 -0700, Jack Honeycutt wrote:

>I am helping my friend upgrade her IMac.  She is currently running
>8.6.  She has bought 9.1 and I think she also has a 9.2 upgrade CD.
>
>She asked me to upgrade her computer for her (she is new to computers).
>
>Can I go directly from her 8.6 OS and upgrade to her with her 9.1 CD?

I believe the answer is yes. If it is truly an installation CD and not an
upgread CD. It should install just fine. Remember, several things will
move around. The Applications folder will become Applications (Mac OS 9)
and the Utilities folder will be moved into that. There may be other
shifts as well.

>And
>after that, will her IMac then take the 9.2 upgrade CD?

Should work just fine. My mother just had her iMac upgraded.

>What is the minimum amount of RAM that she needs for her IMac to run 9.2?

Well, that depends. I think you can actually run in as little as 32M or
64M but you're not going to run many apps quickly. You can always turn on
VM (I think it might be on by default in 9) and have as much as you want
but it will be slow swapped memory.

My usual answer to this question is as much as you can afford. RAM pretty
cheap now. Upgrade to as big as makes financial sense.

 ...Duane