freeware for X on old Power Macs?

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Fri Aug 22 23:32:05 PDT 2003

I have heard a rumor, and I am hoping someone can point me to a URL...

I am running a Power Mac 7600.  I understand many G3 and G4 processor cards
are made that will drop into my 'ol Mac.  Many are made by Sonnet.

Sonnet sells a program for $29.95, that will let you use many of it's
processor cards on old Power Macs, and run them with a OS newer than 9.1.

The $29.95 software package they sell (which IMHO, should be included with
any hardware they sell), will let one move from 9.1 to Jaguar.

A buddy told me he thought a shareware or freeware program was out that did
close to the same thing.  That is, let one run a G3 or G4 processor cards
in a old Power PC and also install X.

I can not find this shareware/freeware software.

Does anyone know anything about it, or where I can find it?

I would like to look it over and see what it does, how well it does it, etc.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jack in Portland Oregon

PS:  Yes, I know that installing Jaguar on my old 7600 with a G3 processor
card will slow it to a snail's pace.  But I am use to a Color Classic and
my Mac IIci, so it will be faster than them.  And that is fast enough for
me.<g>