[HM] freeware for X on old Power Macs?

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 22:22:56 PDT 2003

--- At Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:32:05 -0700, Jack Honeycutt wrote:

>I have heard a rumor, and I am hoping someone can point me to a URL...
>
>I am running a Power Mac 7600.  I understand many G3 and G4 processor cards
>are made that will drop into my 'ol Mac.  Many are made by Sonnet.
>
>Sonnet sells a program for $29.95, that will let you use many of it's
>processor cards on old Power Macs, and run them with a OS newer than 9.1.
>
>The $29.95 software package they sell (which IMHO, should be included with
>any hardware they sell), will let one move from 9.1 to Jaguar.
>
>A buddy told me he thought a shareware or freeware program was out that did
>close to the same thing.  That is, let one run a G3 or G4 processor cards
>in a old Power PC and also install X.
>
>I can not find this shareware/freeware software.
>
>Does anyone know anything about it, or where I can find it?
>
>I would like to look it over and see what it does, how well it does it, etc.
>
>Any pointers or advice would be appreciated.

What you're looking for is called XPostFacto. <http://eshop.macsales.com/
OSXCenter/XPostFacto/>.

It looks like this link was down when I tried it, but this is where it
was when I downloaded it a while back. I ran XPostFacto and installed
Jaguar on a an 8600 with a 400 MHz G3 card. Yep, it's kind a slow, but I
am going to make it into a server so the slow you wont really matter.

 ...Duane