[HM] big HD's and 9.1; look out Jaguar

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Aug 31 13:17:38 PDT 2003

On 8/30/03,  "Jack Honeycutt" <jhoneycutt at qwest.net> wrote:
> At 04:13 PM 8/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>On 8/29/03, "Jack Honeycutt" <jhoneycutt at qwest.net> wrote:
>> > How large of a hard drive can OS 9.1 support?

And I answered:

>>I suspect you're asking about HDs 128 GB or greater.
>>
>> From <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86178>, we find:
>
> Thanks for all the good info.  I need to figure out how to look up stuff in
> Apple Knowledge's base.  I  was at Apple's web site for about 2 hours and
> came away empty handed.  You must be quite the sleuth!

Not at all. Go to any article link, such as the above, and click on the
Guided or Expert (search) buttons, enter the info you're seeking, and hit
the GO button.

> I was at CostCo and found a Western Digital EIDE  HD for $149.95.  It is
> 160GB's. It was only when I got home that I saw on it "Mac OS 10.2.X or
> later; G4 required.
>
> I have a scooped up 7600 with a Sonnet G4 running at 700 Mhz.  I am now
> running 9.1.  Sonnet requires you to install it's patch, then you can load
> Jaguar.  I am running the Sonnet PCI controller card (Tempo Trio) that has
> a external Firewire and USB port, plus the ability to run 4 EIDE devices
> (like HD's, DVD drives etc):
>
> http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_trio.html
>
> I guess Jaguar will support the drive, but I am not sure how I am going to
> get there from here. <g>

Jaguar will support the drive, but your computer won't. Apple means it when
they say on the mirrored drive door or Xserve model enable more than 128 GB.

> One solution that would empty more out of my pocket book, would be to
> install two EIDE drives.  One could be small enough to support 9.1.  Then
> when I make the jump to Jaguar from 9.1, I could use Jaguar to init the
> 160GB drive.

You use Jaguar's Disk Utility to initialize the drive, but the maximum
volume size is limited to approximately 128 GB.

> Do you think that the disk init utility in 9.1 will see the 166GB drive,
> but allow me to break it into useable partitions?  That solution would cost
> me less money.

One other thing. OS 9.1 won't work. You need 9.2.2, specifically the one
"the version of Mac OS 9.2.2 that comes with the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored
Drive Doors) and later products." Yours won't cut it.

HTH