[HM] more speed

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Fri Dec 19 12:03:31 PST 2003

--- At Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:23:49 -0600, George Booth wrote:

>I have a G4/400MHz with 640 MB of memory & 19 GB hard drive. I am adding an
>Apple 20" monitor and now need OS X.3 for it (been using 9.2.2 only). I
>would like like to increase the speed to make photo CDs for family and speed
>up my searching capabilities. Would going to 800MHz be enough & do I get
>another 400 MHz card or an 800MHz (which seems more logical)? I don't know
>what type of speed or memory card to get to eventually be able to make DVDs.
>Thanks, george

While one can never have enough speed, you dont need any more speed to
make Photo CD's or DVD's as far as I know. In fact DVD burners are pretty
slow.

I run OS X (10.2) on a 500 MHz PowerBook and it seems to work fine. 800
MHz should be fine. Processor cards dont "add" their speed together. You
will need to remove the 400MHz processor and put in a faster processor.
You should not need to change the memory.

 ...Duane