[HM] type 2 & 3 errors

james grant tyner jgtt at shaw.ca
Sat Dec 20 00:00:04 PST 2003

Now that the mailer daemon has allowed passage of the listing for type 1,2 errors,
here is the follow-up per type 3 errors.
Type 3 errors

  A type 3 error is an illegal instruction error.  It means that the
  application has been given an instruction that it can't carry out.

  Possible Solutions

  1)  Delete an application's preference file.   If you are experiencing
  problems with one application and can't seem to find the cause or the
  solution, quit the application, and remove that application's Preferences
  file from the System Folder's Preference folder.  Afterwards, relaunch the
  application so it will start a new preferences file.  You will need to reset
  any settings or preferences you've changed while customizing the
  application.

  2)  Look for extension conflicts.  You can test for extension conflicts by
  the process of elimination.  (disable half of your extensions by dragging
  them out of the Extensions folder, then restart to see if the problem
  disappears; continue subdividing until you locate the problem extension).
  You can also use the same technique using the Extensions Manager.

  3)  Reinstall software.  If none of the previous steps have helped, try
  reinstalling the software.  Afterwards, remember to trash it preferences as
  directed in Step 1.  If you are still experiencing problems, try
  reinstalling your system software with the clean install option.