[HM] Extra files seen under OSX

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Tue Feb 25 05:59:15 PST 2003

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 07:13  AM, Home Macintosh Users List
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:13:46 -0500
> From: "Nancy J. Ayers" <njayers at attbi.com>
> Subject: [HM] Extra files & docs
>
> Having just upgraded my Wallstreet to OS X, I'm puzzled by all the
> occurrences of docs, in and out of folders, called "FINDER.DAT,"
> "Icon," and "RESOURCE.FRK."  What are these? Can I delete them (some
> I already have with seemingly no ill effects)?  Or is there a way to
> hide them?

Where are these files?

I see the similar things when I use a PC/DOS formatted Zip disk with
OS-X and the disk contains files created on OS9. My theory is that
these particular files are created to hold the Mac only information,
ie. so that Mac 'forked' files can maintain their data and their
resource parts. Unlike the Mac HFS file system, the PC/DOS/Win "FAT"
file system doesn't support forked files.

Surely there is some way under OSX to let us just see PC/DOS formatted
media the same way as OS9 does, leaving these supplemental files hidden
from view.

-ct