[HM] Re: Partitions

Tom Burton tomb at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 18:20:19 PST 2003

Define "go bad."

Partitioning a drive doesn't provide protection against a physical
crash. Any physical damage generally destroys the entire drive (tho
sometimes data recovery houses can recover at least some of the data).

What partitioning can do is speed up certain operations. For example,
some people use a small partition for their System Folder, and put
EVERYTHING else on the other partition. Startup, Restart, Rebuilding
the desktop (on the startup volume) will be faster, since they only
involve that small partition.

Another related usage is to reduce fragmentation of files. A large
file could, potentially, be spread over the entire drive (especially
if it evolves as grows over time). If it's all within a (smaller)
partition, the various fragments would be closer together, reducing
time going from one fragment to another (slightly!).

But protection, no.

Tom Burton

--
For Technical Writing, Marketing Writing, and FileMaker Pro database
development, call Tom Burton at 818-785-3044   or visit