[HM] OS X questions - fonts and Outlook Express

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Tue Jul 8 07:20:31 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jul 8, 2003, at 09:23 Canada/Eastern, James Baumann wrote:

> Where should I put all my fonts?

It depends on (a) which users should have access to them, and (b)
whether or not you want Classic applications to have access to them.

> When I store them in either the main "Libarary - Fonts" folder they
> don't show up in the applications.

Huh?! Either that or which one?

> why would I want to store fonts in two different places?

Five, actually. Plus the application's own folder. Plus the support
folder (if you're talking Adobe). For very good reasons, if you stop to
think about the fact that X is fundamentally a networked multiuser
environment. Read more at

http://www.apple.com/creative/fonts/UsingFontsinMacOSX_L25032B.pdf

> Bigger question - why did Adobe give up on OS X?

Technically, that's called begging the question. The question being
begged is, "Did Adobe give up on OS X?"

> Are most people buying Suitcase now?

It appears that, as far as font management goes, Font Reserve and Font
Agent Pro are the main alternatives to Suitcase. The former has been
recently purchased by Extensis, so its future may be in doubt.

> I was hoping to continue using Outlook Express for my mail

Hardly. There's no OS X version of OE.

> (Apple Mail doesn't seem all that powerful)

It isn't. If you want power ("I rewired it"), check out Mailsmith or
PowerMail. But, judging from your subsequent question, I suspect power
isn't exactly what you need. Give Mail.app a try, you might find
adequate for your needs. Or, if you still yearn for 'that Microsoft
look', check out Entourage. It's bundled with Office X or you can buy
it separately.

But if you're new to OS X, my advice is, at first go with the defaults.
Try to use the apps bundled with it for a couple of weeks, until you
figure things out. Then you can decided whether your needs are served
better by other stuff or not.

> when I copied Outlook Express over to my new computer from the old one
> (network) it didn't bring over the address book, archived messages, or
> nothing.  How can I resolve this problem and not loose all that info.

Look for the Microsoft User Data. That's where the stuff is kept.

> Why did Microsoft give up on OS X with Outlook Express?

Because there was no profit in it for Microsoft. There ain't no such
thing as a free lunch.