OS 9 System folder

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 6 08:19:13 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:15  AM, Duane Murphy wrote:

> --- At Thu, 5 Jun 2003 17:33:37 -0500, Wendy Townley wrote:
>
>> I want to remove OS 9 because I never use it. This is my second Mac
>> with OS X (my previous was an iBook) and I NEVER booted into 9.
>> There's
>> no reason for me to.
>>
>> So, any ideas?
>
> Removing OS 9 is not about "booting" into OS 9. Its about running
> classic
> applications. If you remove OS 9 you cannot run applications that have
> not been ported to OS X while in OS X.
> <snip>
> A suggestion would be to use Drop Stuff to make a stuffit archive of
> your
> OS 9 folder and then delete the folder. Run for a while like that, if
> you
> dont have problems after a year or so ;-) you can delete the archive.

This is a reasonable suggestion, Wendy. Like you, I don't boot into OS
9, either. But, unless you really need the hard drive space AND are
proficient or comfortable with Terminal, keeping 9 around may prove
useful. Sooner or later, you may need to get rid of a folder with a
permissions problem or something similar. Booting into 9 to take care
of it is a whole lot less intimidating for me than using Terminal
commands. (Please, no lectures. True, I should probably learn Terminal,
but it scares me to death.) At the very least, have Disk Warrior 3 or
some other bootable disk before you trash 9.

Mary