[HM] Re: changing iMac hard drive

T. Brown / groucho btgroucho at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 15 12:47:15 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 09:28  AM, Pyx Findlekind wrote:

> Question: Which generates the most heat - HD or CPU?
> Also: I'm noticing an increase in HD noise level recently when the
> iMac is inactive (hum/buzz). Is this something to be concerned about?
> Am I just imagining this?

There are HDs that put out a lot of heat and there are those that run
cool to the touch. Putting my hand inside my G4 tower with 6 HDs of
from different manufacturers says that Maxtor is hot, IBM is cooler, WD
is almost cold, Seagates are hot and cold. So I guess it depends on the
exact drive installed. My original iMac CPU the 333 was upgraded to 466
with a daughter card. The upgrade ran hotter, but GaugePro said it was
under 80 degrees even in the summer. I don't have air conditioning.

As far as making noise while not in use it sounds as though your
computer is indexing either from Sherlock of Norton FileSaver.

You can run PeekaBoo ( shareware ) to see what is going on while it is
" idle "

groucho