[HM] Re: need imac advice ASAP!

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Fri May 2 11:17:08 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 01:13  PM, J. Dobson wrote:

> Jane,
> I appreciate where you're coming from. I need to buy something new
> soon too.
> My dilemma is that of a limited budget, I can barely afford right now
> to buy
> a new computer (I need a notebook), but I can't afford to ALSO upgrade
> all
> my software, at the cost of what, an additional $500 - 1000(?)  if I
> go to
> OSX.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something in this technology upgrade or else lots of
> people have a lot of expendable income.

There are a couple things to keep in mind.

The overwhelming majority of software runs fine in Classic. That means
you don't need to buy new software until you're ready to upgrade. You
may not _have_ to upgrade any software. My OS X transition has spanned
two machines, and though I haven't had to boot OS 9 in months, and I'm
still running a lot of old software. At home, that includes kid's
titles that I originally purchased to run on a Mac IIvx when it was new.

Next, if you can afford to do it, keep the old computer around (if you
have one). That way you have insurance against old software not running
any more. Plus, they're great to have around if you have kids. If it
weren't for the old 7100 we still have around, I'd never get to use the
iMac at home. Come to think of it, I still don't. I usually end up on
the 7100 for some reason.

-Mike