[HM] Re: teegate@comcast.net

Paul N. Reid pnreid at cox.net
Sun May 4 07:31:07 PDT 2003

On 05/03/2003 21:13, "Jane Sprando" <janesprando at msn.com> wrote:

> Paul, you weren't too long winded and I read your whole post several times,
> as a matter of fact.  Later, I read everyone's post on this subject again
> and again, just to be sure that I didn't miss anything. (My mother is always
> telling me that I ask for advice, but then don't take it! I tell her that I
> am an independent thinker with good listening skills! <G>)

8)

"I am an independent thinker with good listening skills!"  As well you
should be!  Your mother should be proud!  : )

> I don't want to keep my G3 tower, even though it is upgradeable.   I have
> had it for 7 years and I want a new Mac with a flat screen. I know that it
> won't bring me a lot of bucks in resale, but that's OK.
>
> jane

I cannot fault you for that, the flat panel iMacs are gorgeous and
exquisitely  designed! you have great taste!

If your G3 is in good shape (and depending on the configuration) you should
be able to cut the cost of the upgrade. In fact, if I was in a different
financial place than I am at the moment, I would make you an offer myself!

8)

Anyway, the ultimate purpose of this whole process is to maximize the
efficiency and overall pleasure of your Computing Experience.  I myself
would not be caught dead at the moment without at least one OS 9 bootable
machine on my home office-network (I currently have eight machines that will
*only* boot from OS 9, five machines that are set up for multiple booting -
each with a separate drive for each OS, and four machine only booting into
SO X), even if the only OS 9 application I was using was Astarté CD-Copy!!!

One last bit of advice for you to think about if you *DO* purchase a
multiple boot iMac... The multiple boot concept on a single Hard Drive
System is one of the few legitimate reasons to consider partitioning your
drive.  With the later model multiple boot machines allow you to choose
which Drive (or in the case of a single drive with more than one partition)
or which partition (The system treats Partitions as if the were truly
separate drives) you want to boot from, even if it is not the drive that was
set-up to boot the system when you last shut it down.  All you have to do is
hold down the Option Key immediately upon powering of the machine and it
will scan the available buses for all bootable drives (or partitions) and
let you select from any available option.  But this only works for drives
(or partitions treated as independent drives), so if you have simply
installed both OS 9 and OS X on a single, unpartitioned drive, this option
is no longer available and you must wait for the system to boot completely,
go through the process of reselecting a boot system, then restart and wait
again until all tests have run and the OS components have loaded.

Greatest of luck in your new purchase, and please let us know what you think
of the new machine.

Respectfully,

ShrinkMan
Paul N. Reid, M.S.
AASP Certified Systems Technician
Point of No Return Productions
pnreid at cox.net

Leela: "Fry, you're wasting your life sitting in front of that TV. You need
to get out and see the real world."
Fry: "But this is HDTV. It's got better resolution than the real world."

Futurama