[HM] Re: Connection checker!

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 3 05:47:03 PST 2003

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 08:12  AM, Home Macintosh Users List
wrote:
> From: John Davis <jdavis at melbpc.org.au>
>

> Hi There everyone,
>                             I wonder if anyone knows of an app. which
> can check the quality of your internet connection ( phone line) via
> dial-up? I have been having a bit of a problem with my connection
> dropping out while on the internet i.e. can't retrieve any data even
> though I am still connected.

What model computer and OS are you using? What kind of modem? (There
was a problem some time ago with software modems vs. hardware modems.)
Do you have any idea of the speed with which you connect? Has it always
been this way? If you plug a phone into that line, do you hear static?

Not an app, but you might try this: Unplug all telephones and computers
from both the phone jacks of that line and electrical outlets (in the
case of portable phones) for fifteen minutes. Then, replug and see if
that improves. This is supposed to clear static from the line. You
could also try asking the phone company to check the line for
interference. When you ask about this, though, it might be best not to
mention problems with the internet. In some places here (the U.S.), the
phone companies are only required to provide voice transmission, which
isn't necessarily the same as data transmission; I don't know about
Australia.