8mm *MOVIE* film, to digital, to firewire

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Thu Oct 2 20:46:25 PDT 2003

At 08:22 PM 10/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Since you seem to have a digital camcorder, your best bet is to use it for
>digitizing
>your 8mm video's.

Bob...

I was not clear in my post.  I am converting 8mm movie *film* that was shot
in the 1950's and 1960's.  So I have to project it, then capture it with my
digital camera.  I have done this in Windows, but the bus speed was twice
as fast, and I had a much more powerful processor.

I know that I can record onto the digital tape what I film with the digital
video camera, and then feed that into the firewire port of the Mac.

What I don't know is if I can just take a feed from my digital video camera
and feed it directly into the firewire port with out loosing enough frames
for it to be noticed.

I also don't know what the difference in quality would be between dumping a
digital tape image into the firewire port, or skipping the tape and just
using the digital camera to feed a signal to the firewire port.

I should have been more clear.  I need more coffee! <g> Sorry!

jack