[HM] iMac Won't Start Up

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Thu Oct 16 06:27:48 PDT 2003

On 10/15/03 11:35 PM, "Blaine" <kbw at fidalgo.net> wrote:

> Initially the computer would hang on restart. I tried resetting the
> Cuda, holding down the C key with the original iMac install CD in
> the slot, tried starting with extensions off, tried to startup with
> my original OS 9 system disk. Still hangs. Changed all manner of
> jumper settings. Maybe it doesn't require any jumpers, not sure.
> but the instructions refer to jumper settings.
>
> Then trouble really began when, not being too techy, I noticed in
> the start up disk control panel that there was an icon called
> "network disk" or something like that. I highlighted the icon and

There is a good chance that the computer is looking for a network startup
disk, and is taking a long time to find there isn't one. The important thing
is to wait long enough to boot from another disk, then immediately go to the
startup control panel and change it to a local disk.

Booting from a CD might work if you press the command-option-shift-delete
keys on startup.

Hope this helps.

--
Bruce