big HD's and 9.1; look out Jaguar

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Mon Sep 1 07:07:36 PDT 2003

At 01:17 PM 8/31/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Not at all. Go to any article link, such as the above, and click on the
>Guided or Expert (search) buttons, enter the info you're seeking, and hit
>the GO button.

Thanks for the great tip!  I will try this in the future.

>Jaguar will support the drive, but your computer won't. Apple means it when
>they say on the mirrored drive door or Xserve model enable more than 128 GB.

I will be confusing my 7600 more so than it ever has been.  As well as
installing a Sonnet G4 700Mhz processor card, I have installed a Sonnet PCI
combo card called a Sonnet Trio.  It gives me one external Firewire port, a
external USB port, and support for 4 internal ATA 133 devices (HDs DVD
drives, etc):

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_trio.html

Out of the box, Sonnet's G4 card will support a OS up to 9.1.  If one wants
to upgrade to a OS higher (like Jaguar for example), one needs to start off
with a HD running 9.1,  then install Sonnet's $29.95 software, which will
let one upgrade to Jaguar.  Sonnet's software patch will only allow one to
upgrade to a flavor of X, if you start with a OS of 9.1.  It will not work
if your Mac is running   9.2:

http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/osx_upgrade_sw.html

The directions with the above software say to make two partitions on a
large drive.  Have one partition be 9.1, and load the  Sonnet software on
that 9.1 partition, then load Jaguar (or any version of X) on the second
partition. Well, as you and I now know, 9.1 will not see or partition this
160GB HD.

I am going to call Sonnet's tech support on Tuesday and ask, but I wonder
if using the Sonnet Trio card, plus the Sonnet software, it will allow me
to boot to the SCSI  HD running 9.1 (with the Sonnet software on it) and
then get it to see my ATA 160 GB HD.  If so, maybe I can then load Jaguar
on the 160 GB ATA HD and run it.

I will your use Apple knowledge search tips to see if Jaguar will support a
HD as large as 160 GBs.

Perhaps another solution would be to buy a very small ATA HD and pull my
SCSI drive.  Then install two ATI drives in my 7600.  One being small with
9.1 on it, and the second being my big drive.

What to do, what  to do....

I found a support page that gathers information from readers. When I am
finished, I will write up what I have done and sent it to the web master to
post.  His site is made up of folks that share experiences that are a bit
odd, like upgrading old Macs and trying to make them do what they usually
don't do.  It is a page that talks a lot about accelerating older Macs and
the information sounds well thought out and reasonable:

http://xlr8yourmac.com/

Do you think my HD plan has any merit?  I am afraid that if I were to init
my 160 GB drive and partition it in a modern G4 or G5 Mac running Jaguar,
that my Sonnet software may not recognize it.  Could this be a valid
concern?  I hope Sonnet Tech Support can answer most of the above questions
on Tuesday when I call them.

Thanks again for all the tips, especially on how to search Apple's
Knowledge Base. That was a big help.

jack in Portland Oregon