[HM] Re: Recording an audio stream ...

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Mon Sep 8 10:12:10 PDT 2003

On Monday, Sep 8, 2003, at 12:58 Canada/Eastern, Bryan Forbes wrote:

> By streaming, do you mean from a voice or from an electronic source.

 From FOLDOC (Computing)::

streaming

    <communications> Playing sound or video in real time as
    it is downloaded over the Internet as opposed to storing it
    in a local file first.  A plug-in to a web browser such as
    Netscape Navigator decompresses and plays the data as it is
    transferred to your computer over the World-Wide Web.
    Streaming audio or video avoids the delay entailed in
    downloading an entire file and then playing it with a helper
    application.  Streaming requires a fast connection and a
    computer powerful enough to execute the decompression
    algorithm in real time.

    (1996-11-06)

On Monday, Sep 8, 2003, at 12:48 Canada/Eastern, Howard Scudder wrote:

> Anybody know a quick easy way to record streaming
> audio and a program that works well?

Audio Hijack is supposed to be what you're looking for. Haven't used it
myself, though, so I'm curious how well it works in the real world.