[HM] iMac flickering screen

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Thu Sep 11 08:04:17 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 22:12 Canada/Eastern, Mary C. Youra
wrote:

> My daughter, who is away at college, called today complaining that her
> iMac's screen is flickering. She has an older iMac (with CRT) [...]

"Screen flickering" is a generic symptom that doesn't necessarily tell
you much about the cause. If you have an experienced eye, you can
distinguish between various kind of flickers and decide what is the
probable cause.

Yes, it could be a problem with the iMac itself, in which case the
repair shop is the only solution. But first you need to eliminate other
causes.

Yes, it could also be a problem with incorrect settings. That's easily
solved by going to System Preferences > Displays (and use the Show
modes recommended by display). Test different settings and see if
anything changes.

There is the issue of optical interference. The image on the screen is
not constant; it is constantly "flickering" at a rate higher than the
human eye can distinguish, so to us it appears as constant. Fluorescent
lights also "flicker", and sometimes interference between the two
different "flickers" occurs (the same phenomenon you notice when you
see a computer monitor shown on TV).

But the most common problem for CRTs is magnetic interference, when
magnetic fields generated by electric motors or transformers interfere
with the monitor's image mechanism. Sometimes that's easy to figure out
-- move the fan or power supply away, and the intereference goes away
too -- but sometimes it's not. Changing surge supressors or plugging
the devices in different power circuits doesn't help, because it
doesn't address the basic issue, that of magnetic fields.

To test for this problem, remove any magnetic field generators from the
proximity of the iMac (anything with an electric motor or a
transformer, including stereo equipment, answering machines,
loudspeakers, etc.) and test the iMac in different orientations and
locations around the room. If the flicker changes in intensity or
quality, then in all likelihood that's the problem.

It may not be something you can do anything about, by the way. The
interference could be caused by something you can't see -- an
electrical panel on the other side of the wall, for instance. I've seen
this happen with a transformer installed by the phone company on the
exterior wall of a student residence. The only solution was to locate
the Mac as far away from the exterior wall as possible.