flickering IMAC

NeptuneMidheaven at aol.com NeptuneMidheaven at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 22:05:52 PDT 2003

from: Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:12:26 -0400

Subject: [HM] iMac flickering screen

From: Mary C. Youra <mcyoura at ix.netcom.com>

<< My daughter, who is away at college, called today complaining that her

iMac's screen is flickering. She has an older iMac (with CRT), indigo I

think--either 2000 or 2001, OS 10.2.6, 384mb. >>

Hello,
Please ask her if she is also hearing any occasional 'popping' or 'hissing'
noises.  If so it may be the AV board -specifically the flyback transformer on
that board. If that is the case sooner or later the screen will go forever
dark and she won't be able to boot up - so make sure to back-up anything
important ASAP.
This is apparently fairly common in the older Imac's, as I learned.  It
happened to my Bondi blue IMAC a year ago.  It is an expensive repair but there are
places that will sell you a refurbed board for less. I think I paid around
$120 for mine. Of course then you need to find someone to install it.
Best of luck,
Val