[HM] Switching from G3, OS 9 to G4, OS X

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Sep 22 13:09:10 PDT 2003

On 9/21/03, Thom Holland <tholland at san.rr.com> wrote:

> I am finally making the dive to OS X.  Currently, I have an iMac G3, OS
> 9 and Netscape 7.02.  I am switching to a Power Mac G4, OS X and staying
> with Netscape.  What is the easiest way to do that and maintain all of
> my stored e-mails?  On my iMac, is have an external drive (60 GB) that
> has all of my applications, and the internal drive is just for System
> apps.  I was thinking of just removing the external drive from the case
> and installing it into the Power Mac.  Or would it be better to connect
> the external drive and transfer all the info?

A couple of things to consider. First, you'll need to install Netscape 7.1
for OS X <http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp> onto the
G4, create an account, and then copy the Mail and News folders from the
Mozilla->Profiles->your profile folder on the iMac to the G4. Check the
Netscape 7 FAQ at <http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/faq.jsp> for
specifics.

Since the external only has OS 9 apps, just connect it to the G4, assuming
you're not going to use the iMac any longer; otherwise, just transfer
everything to the G4. You'll have to install OS X compatible apps to run in
OS X.

I strongly recommend partitioning the G4's drive or at least getting
another internal. 60-90 GB IBM internals run less than $100 at Fry's (best
source in SD). Then install OS X on one drive/partition and OS 9.2.2 on
another, simply to have the ability to boot from OS 9 for certain tasks,
such as updating firmware and trouble-shooting.