[HM] key combo for memory check??

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 13:39:36 PDT 2003

--- At Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:23:09 -0800, Jack Honeycutt wrote:

>I enjoy the fun key combos that can be done on boot to do stuff like
>rebuild the desktop or Zap the PRAM.
>
>I am looking for one that may or may not be....
>
>I have a Power Mac 7600.  It did have 128 MB of RAM in it.  Now it
>has 1GB.  It takes just over 1 minute until I get to the boot screen
>with all the memory in it now.
>
>I am running 9.1
>
>Does anyone know of a fany key combo I could hold down on boot that
>would let me bypassthe memory chek on boot so I could boot directly
>to my boot screen? Or am I just dreaming?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Jack in Portland Oregon

You're dreaming. :-)

But there is a solution. Open the Memory Control Panel (on 9 only!) while
holding down the option key. You will get an extra radio button that will
let you disable the startup memory test.

AFAIK, there is no way to do this from X or from the start up screen.

There is a list of all of the known startup key combinations at

<http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html>

If you notice any that are missing, I am sure Dave would love to know.

 ...Duane