[HM] Re: Shutting down frozen G4

Chris Beamis beamis at drizzle.com
Thu Sep 25 21:48:52 PDT 2003

I've had this dual 866MHz G4 machine, currently running 10.2.6,
since last November and it has froze up many times, and this is
without running classic or doing anything particularly stressful to
it.  It was more routine when I would leave the machine to go to
sleep like they say you are supposed to let it, and is less frequent
now that I power down when not using it.  Whats more it has a funny
(hilarious) habit of dialing forever but never connecting when I
try to dial up my ISP.  I've taken it to the shop for this but they
tried
it many times and of course it dialed perfectly every time for them.
So part of the routine for this machine is that I sometimes power it
up, dial the ISP, can't connect, power it down, power it up, and then
finally connect.  Or sometimes have to push and hold the power
button when it hangs completely for no reason.

As long as I'm complaining, I recently noticed that this OS isn't
case sensitive, so that when I'm mucking around
in the xterm looking at files and stuff, commands like
 > ls File
return the same result as
 > ls file
It really screws me up when trying to look for specific things.

I want to like this system more but my experience has been kind
of mediocre so far.

Thanks, I feel a little better now. :)

Chris

On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 08:57 AM, Louis Katz wrote:

> James,
>
> A couple thoughts. If you're running OS X, that Mac shouldnt be
> freezing up
> on you.
>
> That said, to shut it down, press and hold the glowing button on the
> tower
> for about five seconds, and the machine will shut down.
>
> Louis
> --
> Bad Katz
> Technology Solutions
>
> M: 818.919.1583
>
> WWW: badkatz.com
> E: louiskatz at badkatz.com
> iChat: badkatz

> <HomeMac-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <HomeMac-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
> ----------
> Now shipping! Farallon Wireless SkyLINE PCI Card for Mac Desktops!
> http://www.farallon.com/le/skyline/pci/index.html

> Mac ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> Monsoon  | Flat panel speakers that deliver crisp, accurate sound!
> Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/speakers.html>

     --- Top 25 reasons why Kirk is a better captain than Picard ---
3. How they would react to Wesley.
   - Picard: Encourage development of mental and leadership skills.
   - Kirk: Use kid to get to mom.