[HM] Re: Shutting down frozen G4

Tom Burton tomb at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 22:09:08 PDT 2003

>I've had this dual 866MHz G4 machine, currently running 10.2.6,
>since last November and it has froze up many times, and this is
>without running classic or doing anything particularly stressful to
>it.  It was more routine when I would leave the machine to go to
>sleep like they say you are supposed to let it, and is less frequent
>now that I power down when not using it.

That shouldn't be happening! OS 10 is generally very stable. Has it
been doing this ever since you got it? If so, since the machine is (I
assume) still under warranty, you might check with Apple (or the
retailer you bought it from) as to returning it for replacement.

>   Whats more it has a funny
>(hilarious) habit of dialing forever but never connecting when I
>try to dial up my ISP.  I've taken it to the shop for this but they tried
>it many times and of course it dialed perfectly every time for them.
>So part of the routine for this machine is that I sometimes power it
>up, dial the ISP, can't connect, power it down, power it up, and then
>finally connect.

Weird! My first thought was that there's some sort of configuration
problem. But since it works fine "at the shop" I'm wondering if
there's ANYTHING (tiny as it might seem) you do differently at home
vs in the shop.

Another thought - do you have lots of other stuff and/or long cords
on that phone line? If so, try removing some of the other stuff and
try to connect. It might be that the line doesn't have enough power
to give a reliable connection. I've seen that happen!

Good luck!

Tom

>  Or sometimes have to push and hold the power
>button when it hangs completely for no reason.
>
>As long as I'm complaining, I recently noticed that this OS isn't
>case sensitive, so that when I'm mucking around
>in the xterm looking at files and stuff, commands like
>>  ls File
>return the same result as
>>  ls file
>It really screws me up when trying to look for specific things.
>
>I want to like this system more but my experience has been kind
>of mediocre so far.
>
>Thanks, I feel a little better now. :)
>
>Chris
>

>On Monday, September 15, 2003, at 08:57 AM, Louis Katz wrote:
>
>>James,
>>
>>A couple thoughts. If you're running OS X, that Mac shouldnt be freezing up
>>on you.
>>
>>That said, to shut it down, press and hold the glowing button on the tower
>>for about five seconds, and the machine will shut down.
>>
>>Louis
>>--
>>Bad Katz
>>Technology Solutions
>>
>>M: 818.919.1583
>>
>>WWW: badkatz.com
>>E: louiskatz at badkatz.com
>>iChat: badkatz

>>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>><HomeMac-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>Need help from a real person? Try.
>><HomeMac-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>>----------
>>Now shipping! Farallon Wireless SkyLINE PCI Card for Mac Desktops!
>>http://www.farallon.com/le/skyline/pci/index.html
>>
>>$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>>Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!
>>http://macinternetaccess.com
>>
>>Monsoon  | Flat panel speakers that deliver crisp, accurate sound!
>>Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/speakers.html>
>>
>>   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>>   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
>>
>     --- Top 25 reasons why Kirk is a better captain than Picard ---
>3. How they would react to Wesley.
>   - Picard: Encourage development of mental and leadership skills.
>   - Kirk: Use kid to get to mom.

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
><HomeMac-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>Need help from a real person? Try.
><HomeMac-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>----------
>Now shipping! Farallon Wireless SkyLINE PCI Card for Mac Desktops!
>http://www.farallon.com/le/skyline/pci/index.html
>
>$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your
>Mac ISP Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!
>http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>Monsoon  | Flat panel speakers that deliver crisp, accurate sound!
>Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/speakers.html>

For Technical Writing or Business Solutions geared for small
businesses using FileMaker Pro databases, call Tom Burton at
818-785-3044 or visit http://home.earthlink.net/~tomb