[HM] Re: Freezes & glitches

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Feb 19 06:03:15 PST 2004

On Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004, at 22:34 Canada/Eastern, Bob K wrote:

> My problem seems to be fixed, with a run of my newly arrived
> Disk Warrior v3.0.1.   But, I tried among the first things the
> "test" user account, and also my problem started in Jaguar,
> and the Archive & Install installation of Panther didn't help
> either.  The freeze happened even with starting up from the
> Panther Installation CD.

Here's a working hypothesis (or perhaps just a speculation, at this
stage), based on several user reports.

(1) Apple has been using lately some marginal RAM chips (especially
Samsung).

(2) Mac OS X is particularly sensitive to bad or marginal RAM. RAM
functioning at the limit of the specs may cause occasional, and
apparently random, problems.

(3) This issue is much more noticeable in DP Macs, because SMP imposes
tighter RAM requirements.

(4) RAM problems lead to file system corruption. Fsck at startup should
catch and repair such corruption, but that doesn't always happen (and
fsck only runs if the dirty bit is set).

(5) File system corruption snowballs to more and more problems.
Eventually, the user employs a utility such as DiskWarrior to repair
the file system, but the cycle will begin again.