iSight

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Sat Jan 10 06:36:00 PST 2004

At 11:13 PM 1/9/2004, you wrote:

>Has anyone had any experience with this camera? I read an article in
>MacHome and it said it needed lots of light and pure sunlight gave the
>best picture. i assume it will attach to top of Apple's flat screens.
>Thanks, George

I have used CU-SeeMe and other videoconference software for many years
before I got my iSight camera.  The camera is nice and IMHO, does as good
of a job as many cameras in handling available
light.

Most of the time, folks do not have enough of, or the right kind of light
to properly illuminate them when they are on a video call.  You can get
better results with software that supports a higher end camera like a
older, higher end analog Hi8 camera or a newer DV camera.  They have lower
LUX ability than a cheap $29.95 video cams. But the iSight camera, while
overpriced, did what I would say is a very good job at handling low light
conditions.

If you are concerned about the cost (I think they are about $150 new from
Apple), you can often pick them up for about $100 on ebay if you shop well.

But to give the best picture to folks seeing you, light your self
well.  This applies to what ever camera you end up using.

I believe that the Apple software that supports the iSight camera will only
allow you to use the iSight camera  (but i am not sure).  Other
Videoconference software will support a host of other cameras.

I hope this helps.

jack