[HM] Re: AppleWorks upgrade won't install

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Sat Jan 24 07:05:00 PST 2004

On Jan 24, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Home Macintosh Users List wrote:

> From: Adam Bass <abasscube at mac.com>
> Subject: [HM] Re: AppleWorks upgrade won't install
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:59:41 -0500
>
> I have a problem with the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update as well. I don't get
> an error message, but it just hangs when it says it's preparing the
> install.

Something I noticed while installing this update is curious and may be
a clue. I run the Net Monitor utility
<http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html>
which displays network activity in the menu bar at the top of the
desktop.

I got to a point in the AppleWorks update where it seemed to be
stalled, just sitting and doing nothing. However, at the same time I
noticed that Net Monitor was showing a blast of incoming network
traffic. So I just waited to see what might happen. After a few minutes
the network activity stopped and the install proceeded on to
completion.

Was the install downloading something over the network? I have a
cable-modem setup so downloads are pretty quick. Someone who has run
this upgrade and who uses dial-up modem connections might comment on
their experience, i.e. did the install want to dial and connect to the
network?

-ct