[HomeMac] Software for 9 and 10

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Thu Jun 10 06:19:53 PDT 2004

On Jun 10, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Home Macintosh Users List wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:27:05 -0700
> Subject: Software for 9 and 10
> From: Jane Sprando <janesprando at comcast.net>
>
> I have an iMac that boots into 9 and 10.  I have a lot of utilities
> that I
> use in 9, like Tech Tool Pro, CopyPaste, MacLink Plus, Norton Anti
> Virus,
> Norton Utilities ,  etc...
>
> Do I need to buy the OS 10 versions of these software? If I do, should
> both
> versions be installed?

I don't think there is any problem with having both OS9 and OSx
versions of packages installed on the machine. I have some of that;
it's just a matter of HD space.

Probably one should run the OS specific versions of system level
utilities, i.e. when booted under OS9 run the OS9 version (of course)
but when booted under OSX run the OSX native version and not an OS9
version in the classic environment.

Otherwise for ordinary applications the classic environment works well.
Some of the new features of OSX, however, are only available for
applications running as native OSX programs. One of the specific OSX
features I use often is the ability to print but then save as PDF.

-ct