[HM] Re: Huzzah! (was: Can't open picture attachment)

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 16 08:43:21 PST 2004

Duane is right about this, Denise, in that you should get an
indicator--and in fact, perhaps you are without realizing it. In OE's
Inbox pane, there is a column of icons next to the list of incoming
mails. When it's a fully downloaded email, it's a blue envelope. When
email has only been partially downloaded, the icon lis a jagged half an
envelope (I just realized that's what it was--I always thought it was a
stylized paperclip!) If you click on the icon, it will give you options
to leave the message on the server or download it on the next
connection or delete in from the server.

It appears OE's default for this partial download size is 20k (though
it's not enabled by default); I know I used to have it set for 150k,
and it managed most things fairly well, including many .jpgs. If you
are blocking larger emails hoping to screen out html mail, perhaps
Postini can do that for you? I don't see a preference in OE to display
only plain text, though you can compose that way. I know many people
use Rules to do filter html mail, but then you are still downloading
them, which may or may not be timeconsuming, depending on your
connection.

Duane, sounds to me--if your pictures are routinely greater than 2MB,
that they are not .jpgs, which is a pretty standard format (perhaps
Photoshop?). If you do much emailing, you may want to keep in mind that
many ISP's limit mailboxes to only 10MB, which would fill up fast at
that rate. Our digital camera typically produces pics around 500k at a
resolution for printing, but for emailing, we usually reduce them to 72
dpi, and are more in the 100-200 range. iPhoto makes this very easy in
OS X, and I've used GraphicConverter quite happily in the past, to make
the conversions (depending on the application, it's either as Save As
or Export as command).