[HM] Re: Huzzah! (was: Can't open picture attachment)

Denise rtc at amerytel.net
Tue Mar 16 08:56:59 PST 2004

> From: "Mary C. Youra" <mcyoura at ix.netcom.com>
> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:43:21 -0500
> To: Home Macintosh Users List <HomeMac at lists.themacintoshguy.com>,
> rtc at amerytel.net
> Subject: [HM] Re: Huzzah! (was: Can't open picture attachment)
>
> Duane is right about this, Denise, in that you should get an
> indicator--and in fact, perhaps you are without realizing it. In OE's
> Inbox pane, there is a column of icons next to the list of incoming
> mails. When it's a fully downloaded email, it's a blue envelope. When
> email has only been partially downloaded, the icon lis a jagged half an
> envelope (I just realized that's what it was--I always thought it was a
> stylized paperclip!) If you click on the icon, it will give you options
> to leave the message on the server or download it on the next
> connection or delete in from the server.

I didn't know that icon was there before!  I had the "Online Status" column
de-selected in the View-Columns, therefore this didn't show.  I did notice a
while back, when viewing the "Progress" window as I was retrieving mail,
that there weresome messages left on the server, but didn't think anything
of it, not understanding what was going on.

> It appears OE's default for this partial download size is 20k (though
> it's not enabled by default); I know I used to have it set for 150k,
> and it managed most things fairly well, including many .jpgs. If you
> are blocking larger emails hoping to screen out html mail, perhaps
> Postini can do that for you? I don't see a preference in OE to display
> only plain text, though you can compose that way. I know many people
> use Rules to do filter html mail, but then you are still downloading
> them, which may or may not be timeconsuming, depending on your
> connection.

The largest message I retrieved after discovering the problem, was just over
3000 KB.  The rest were under, or slightly over 1000 Kb.  We often get
messages with attachments from the District Boy Scout office.  That large
one was from last week, and after I saw it last night, it could (should?)
have been broken up, since it contained 4 attachments.

This experience has been very enlightening.  Thank you.

Things have been very quiet here lately...

Denise