Huzzah! (was: Can't open picture attachment)

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 17 08:17:04 PST 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 8:42 AM, Home Macintosh Users List wrote:

> I don't use iPhoto. I prefer to use iViewMedia Pro. I find it more
> useful
> and friendly. It doesn't make extra copies of my photo's and quickly
> produces good web pages.
>
> I need to look at GraphicConverter to work out a simple way to convert
> high resolution pictures to Web level pictures.

Duane--
I mentioned iPhoto and Graphic Converter to cover various OS versions
and because neither is expensive. I've heard of others who use
iViewMedia Pro--there was a bit of back and forth discussion on the OS
X list when the latest iPhoto was introduced. I've not used it, though.
We basically do the same thing you do--taking photos at maximum
resolution to preserve what we can (our old camera isn't as good as
yours, though!). It's my husband who does most of the photo work these
days, since I primarily use a 12' iBook, and he has a nice big monitor,
so I am not the iPhoto guru at our house. He recently bought iLife to
get the new iPhoto, and he loves it. He originally thought he wouldn't
bother (he saw no use for Garage Band), but he's in the process of
scanning all our old photos, and the previous iPhoto versions couldn't
keep up with the volume. I know this is a forte of iViewMedia Pro,
also, but iLife was cheaper for our purposes. Would you explain what
you mean about iPhoto making extra copies of the photos?

In GC, when you Save As a .jpg, it offers you a sliding scale and shows
you the file size as you slide the indicator. I think this is a fairly
common function, though--we had another pre-OS X application that came
with a previous Epson camera, ImageExpert, which also did this with one
or two clicks, as did the CanoScan Toolbox. Photoshop Elements has an
Auto Convert feature when you select Attach to E-mail, also. Since
iPhoto does it, I would think iViewMedia Pro would, too.

  iPhoto also makes web pages easily (maybe because we're uploading to a
.Mac site?), and we've found that actually to be a better way to share
photos. Instead of sending attachments, we send a link. The recipient
can access the web page, see the photos and download any they want.

Mary