[HM] Re: Huzzah! (was: Can't open picture attachment)

Duane Murphy duanemurphy at mac.com
Wed Mar 17 08:43:38 PST 2004

--- At Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:17:04 -0500, Mary C. Youra wrote:

> Would you explain what
>you mean about iPhoto making extra copies of the photos?

Well, it's kind of a process debate. If you put photos on the hard drive
from your camera and then add them to iPhoto, you now have two copies of
the photo. iPhoto makes a copy and put's it in it's database.

iViewMedia Pro just references the file on the hard drive. If you move
the file from it's location iViewMedia Pro can't locate the file.

iPhoto expects that you would use Image Capture directly into iPhoto.
Therefore there would not be an extra copy. It would move directly from
the camera to the iPhoto database.

I prefer having the photo's under my control in the file system. I can
back them up, view them with whatever program I want and send them off to
friends and family as I need.

Different ways of looking at the problem.

>Photoshop Elements has an
>Auto Convert feature when you select Attach to E-mail, also. Since
>iPhoto does it, I would think iViewMedia Pro would, too.

iViewMedia Pro doesn't try and be a photo editor. Although apparently
that has changed in the latest version, which I am not using. (The
upgrade price is too steep and I don't need the features.)

Thanks for the app tips.

 ...Duane