[HM] Re: HomeMac Digest, Vol 3, Issue 1

Mary C.Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 07:24:05 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 7:16 PM, unzie at ixi.net wrote:

> Netscape 7.2 is giving me fits. I recently upgraded from 7.1 thinking
> it may
> solve some small, but nagging problems. But the new version is almost
> unusable (OS 10.2.8; PowerBook G4). I have had to restart the
> application
> numerous times daily. It hangs at the most inopportune times. I have
> lost
> more time messing with it in the past month than I can count. And of
> course
> it's impossible to communicate with them (Netscape) unless I pay $39
> for
> on-line phone support.
>
> I am using Safari now, but all my bookmarks and passwords from the
> past 18
> months of work are in Netscape.

So, would importing the Netscape bookmarks into Safari solve the
problem? When you first launch Safari, you get an option to import
bookmarks from elsewhere. But, since you apparently didn't do that,
here's what to do now:

Enable the Debug menu in Safari--you can use the terminal to do this,
or there are several applications that can handle it for you. I like
TinkerTool, which you can download from versiontracker.com. Once
TinkerTool is installed and launched, choose the Safari tab and select
Enable Debug menu. (There's a TinkerTool option, too, to import IE
Favorites, but you have Netscape, so continue...). Open Safari and
Debug is now at the right on the menubar. Pull down, and select Import
IE/NS/Mozilla Bookmarks, which will check for existing installs.

You could also Export the Netscape bookmarks as html (Netscape's
Bookmark Manager>Tools>Export), and then use the Debug menu's Import
Bookmarks command.

Mozilla's Firefox has a Bookmark Manager that can import/export
bookmarks pretty much the same way, should you decide to try that
browser.

hth,
Mary