[HM] G4 Upgrade Project

Thomas Holland Thomas.Holland at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 7 11:31:24 PDT 2006

Howard,

I have not done what you want to do, but I think I see one problem.
Your HD is an ATA, but what you purchased was an EIDE.  Do they make
adapters?  I can't help you with the DVD.

-Thom

Howard Scudder wrote:
> Ok troups, I have a (pro) friend that can do this but
> I wanted to put myself through a learning curve!  Help
> me out.
>
> New HD and replace CD drive.
>
> I bought quickly because of TN tax free weekend and
> big sales
> All are returnable:
>
> I have:
> G4 466 Processer
> ATA 30GB HD
> ATA Sony CD R/RW
>
> What I bought:
>
> Western Digital: WD Caviar SE ,7200rpm, EIDE, 320 GB
> HD, 40 pin
> $99.99 I thought that was a good price.
>
> Sony DRU-820A internal DVD/ CD +/-R, Dual/ Double
> Layer
> ATAPI (EIDE) $91.99
>
> I have a G4 iBook to boot a DVD 10.4 from if needed
> and several pros I can contact in my school system if
> needed.
>
> I will be running Logic Express which will need
> 10.4.6.  Apple's site said this will run on a G3 so I
> think im safe with my G4.
>
> Before I waist time on the process, will my new
> equipment work?  I think so but..... what do the pros
> out there think?
>
> If every thing is cool with the equipment we can go
> from there.
>
> Thanks,
> Howard Scudder

Thom Holland
SAN09, room 1600
x55434

The Word of the Day for Aug 7th is:

diapason \dye-uh-PAY-zun\  noun

1 *a : a burst of sound b : the principal foundation stop in the organ extending through the complete range of the instrument c : the entire compass of musical tones d : range, scope
2 a : tuning fork b : a standard of pitch

Example sentence:
Diapasons of laughter echoed through the auditorium as the comedian wrapped up his act.