[HM] Re: G4 Upgrade Project

Charlie Nowlin nowlin at esper.com
Mon Aug 7 20:01:36 PDT 2006

Howard --

Glad you could take advantage of Tennessee's tax-free weekend on
computers.  Unfortunately I had to miss it.

I believe Thom Holland may have gotten you scared for no reason.  An
ATA is sometimes known as an IDE.  I have installed an ATA-6 in a G3.
The ATA/IDE standard is so common in the IBM world that backward
compatability to ATA is almost a given. I can give you a published
reference on ATA/IDE if you are interested.  Check the Apple
Knowledge Base at http://search.info.apple.com/ (note the absence of
"www")  for further information.  Apple can also supply manuals at
http://www.info.apple.com/manuals  the last time I downloaded one.

Hope this gives you the confidence to forge ahead on updating your
G4.  I am very much interested in your results because I too have a
G4 and want to use it for my OS 9 mathematics files of the past ten
years, as well as OS X.  Best of luck and keep in touch.

Charlie Nowlin
Oak Ridge, TN
<nowlin at esper.com>