[HM] Re: G4 Upgrade Project

Charlie Nowlin nowlin at esper.com
Tue Aug 8 15:32:25 PDT 2006

Howard --

The acronym IDE stands for "Integrated Drive Electronics" The acronym
EIDE stands for "Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics" . It is a
specific Western Digital Implementation of the ATA-2 Standard. (See
page 1481 of "Upgrading and Repairing Pcs" by Scott Mueller, Eleventh
Edition, ISBN 0-7897-1903-7). I could continue with detail of the
relationship of ATA-2 to ATA with references to other page
references. But the bottom line is, use your hard drive an do not
worry.

Apple seems to prefer setting hard drive jumpers to "Cable Select"
rather than the traditional master-Slave setting of the IBM world.
The manual you got with your drive should tell you where to put the
small shorting blocks to do that.

Your CD ROM probably has an "ATAPI" interface. The acronym ATAPI
stands for "AT Attachment Packet Interface." This is a specification
that defines device side characteristics for an IDE connected
peripheral such as a CD ROM. ATAPI is essentially of the SCSI command
set to the IDE interface.  (See page 1458 of above reference) I
suggest you put your CD ROM on the first connector on a 2-connector
cable.  This is what Apple did on my G3 even though the end connector
was not used. On a cable select system, the middle device is the
slave and the end device is the  master.   Apple's CD ROM driver will
take care of the rest.
Regards,  Charlie