[HM] Re: G4 Upgrade Project

Charles H. Nowlin nowlin at esper.com
Thu Aug 10 10:31:22 PDT 2006

Howard,

Because I believe you may be uncertain about how to physically
install your hard drive and CD ROM, I checked the path that I used to
get the 130  page mirrored door G4 manual (in pdf). I started with
http://search.info.apple.com. At the top of the page is a row of
possible Apple sites. I clicked on "Manuals." When that page came up,
I scrolled down to the "Search" box. I entered "G4 manual" and sent
it on its way. When it returned, it had the first page of 8 pages
with a total of 73 results of G4 manual information. I do not know
your exact model; Digital Audio, Gibabit Ethernet, etc, but I expect
you can find yours there somewhere. Download the manual. The manual
for the mirrored door G4 gives detailed instructions, including the
locations of key release mechanisms, for the physical installation of
extra hard drives.

After physically attaching cables and mechanically installing you new
hard drive close up your computer and boot OS 9. OS X possibly can do
the rest, but I know only OS 9 methods. At first, you may be worried
that your new hard drive does not appear on your desktop. The
manufacturer probably anticipated that it would be used on an IBM
clone. Your new hard drive just needs Macintosh drivers installed and
to be formatted. If you want not to format it, it will probably work
using the IBM format that it likely has. But I am uncertain as to
whether other disk maintenance software made for the mac will happily
handle a DOS formatted hard drive. Formatting also has the advantage
of checking for bad sectors and marking them so that your data will
not be at risk later.

In OS 9, run "Drive Setup" to install drivers. It is certainly ion
the "Utilities" folder on the installer CD of whichever version of OS
9 you use. Otherwise, it can be downloaded from Apple. Drive Setup
first searches for all of your hard drives. After Drive Setup
finishes its search, you will likely see your drive listed as
"Untitled." If you do not see it, check  your "jumper block"
locations to be certain they are all on "cable select". Also, make
certain that both power and signal cables are fully seated. When you
do see "Untitled" listed, it will be "grayed out" because it has no
Apple drivers. Ignore  that detail. Select it and click on
"initialize."  Drive Setup will install drivers. If you want to
partition your hard drive into two or more hard drives, next select
"Customize volume" from the function menu. There are arguments for
and against partitioning. I avoid it whenever possible. Trouble with
either partition can disable all other partitions. Better to use a
separate hard drive. If you want not to partition,select "Mount" from
the functions menu of Drive Setup. That finishes the fist part of the
software side of installing a new hard drive. Next I recommend that
you format the new drive. Find your new hard drive, "untitled" on
your desk top now, select it and use  "Erase" under the OS 9
"Special" menu in the Finder window. That functions just as it does
on 3.5 inch floppies.Select the new format that you want. "Erase"
will finish the job. But don't wait for it to finish, go to bed. For
an extremely large hard drive, it might be wise to plan a trip or
other major activity that does not involve your Mac for the next few
days.

Stay ion touch,

Charles H. Nowlin