[HM] USB Internet access?

Jack Honeycutt jhoneycutt at qwest.net
Wed Aug 23 08:07:54 PDT 2006

Hi folks....

I am trying to bypass a airport equipped laptop.  The antenna and or
airport chip on the logic board are not receiving Wi-Fi  as well as
window boxes at the same location.  I believe it might be a antenna issue.

I looked on Apple's web site, but found no information to help me
increase the range on the laptop.  I  was hoping for a external Wi-Fi  unit.

I looked at this linksys unit as a possible solution  -  a USB Wi-Fi  receiver:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416827517&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Of corse Linksys has no Mac software.  When I plugged it in  to the
Mac it powered up and I can see it labeled correctly when I look at
USB devices.  But the Internet connection wizard will only help me
with firewire, dial up modems and  eithernet  -  no USB support
(I  am running the most current OS).

Another solution is too increasing  the receiving power of a Wi-Fi
card is to install a higher gain antenna.  But because I have no
access to the antenna in this airport equipped laptop, I can't do that either.

If I can't solve this,  I will have to install another access point
in bridge mode to re transmit the signal closer to the laptop.

Anyone have any suggestion?   I think I am SOL here.

Thanks

jack