[HM] Help - Need to recover a file

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:13:52 PDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 11:10 AM, Glenn Gorham wrote:

> Have accidentally Trashed and Emptied a file I need.

In the past, I've used everything from Norton Utilities, to TechTool
Pro, to DiskWarrier to recover erased files. I haven't done it in a
long time, so I'm just guessing that current versions of the programs
would still to this.

Just so you know how things work, the analogy I use is to compare the
hard drive to a book. When the computer wants to find a file in "the
book", it looks in the table of contents to find out where the file
is written in the book. When you erase a file, it erases the entry in
the table of contents so the computer can no longer find it using its
normal method.  But it does not actually erase the page(s) containing
the file. That only happens if a new file is saved and it happens to
be saved on the same page that erased file resides on.

To recover an erased file, recovery utilities read through the hard
drive page by page looking for files and bits of files that don't
have a corresponding listing in the table of contents. The utility
will then usually give you a list of what it has found and give you
the option to "recover" those files.

IMPORTANT: Shut down the computer.

The key to being able to recover an erased file is that no other file
has written over the page(s) that contained the erased file. OS X
during normal operation may create "swap files" and defragment files,
overwriting different parts of the disk. Even downloading an email
message like this one will overwrite part of the disk where erased
files may have resided. Your best bet is to immediately shut down the
computer and restart it using the CD supplied with whichever utility
you have to recover files. The more you do on the computer before
recovering the file, the more likely it will be overwritten and lost
forever.

Good luck.

-Mike