[HM] Quotation marks in Mail

Jim Norman jimoctec at mac.com
Sat May 17 15:04:22 PDT 2008

Hi Greg,

I'm fairly sure that it has a lot to do with HTML code "&quot" and "
are equivalent.

The usual reason for such scrambling is when someone is using
Microsoft Word for their email editor and they are using "smart
quotes" to get the preferred curly quotes. Another reason can be the
variation in the computer operating system they are using, the
operating system of the mail server, and the operating system of the
sender's computer.

It was less of a problem in the days of strict ASCII text, but
allowing HTML for email has certainly made it easier to apply
formatting.

Just put it down to Gates' minions and Jobs' minions deliberately
trying to be a little bit different to each other so that their own
ecosystem is "perfect" and the opposition not quite as good.

Jim