Digital video/analog converters

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue Dec 3 07:59:35 PST 2002

Hi all,

After torturing our Sony PD150 to the tune of 1,000 hours of
non-shooting time in using the camera as editorial I/O, we picked up a
Sony DSR-25, which is designed for post production abuse. For our
DV-CAM work, we have had a lot of success using Firewire external
drives of late with FCP under OS 10.2.2, and in that it is so simple to
walk off with a few hundred gigs of footage to another edit room, we
are about to try the Dazzle as JUST a means to get the DV up on the
monitor. No way to color correct on any LCD or CRT and expect it to
look right in NTSC. The Sony PVM-14M4U is a great broadcast monitor
which instantly promotes a DV-CAM/DV edit system to online status
regardless of you I/O. When you see PD150 footage next to Betacam on
this SMPTE C Phosphor monitor, you see the parity everyone talks about,
a notion not seen on TV's. Underscan and Blue Only are also BIG pluses
even for the most modest, but serious DV editing scenario.

In my experience, the caveat of using any DV camera as I/O is undue
wear and tear. Cameras are better for sourcing, not posting, in most
cases.

Will report on the Dazzle product shortly...

Richard Brown