[MacDV] Re: Recommendations for Camcorder Mic

Danny Grizzle danny at mogulhost.com
Wed Dec 4 08:12:58 PST 2002

On 12/3/02 9:34 PM, "Phil A. Lefebvre" <p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Sure, but how do you really feel? :-) Thanks for the heads up, glad I
> didn't ask for it, or she'd have bought it already (she's pretty much
> done w/ Xmas shopping otherwise!).

> I doubt the mic on my basic 1st gen Digital 8 will impress anyone; I
> know nothing about audio and if doesn't impress me. My desire was for
> something that would help me pick up a conversation across a room,

Discourse on pro audio probably uncalled for, but I hope you are clear what
mics will and will not do. $55 mic might help your camera a bit, but it
certainly will not pick up a conversation across a room, at least not to the
extent of great audio or isolating the audio from other sounds in room.

Terrible example: seeing an imminent car collision, you might be able to
turn your back and avoid seeing the horror, but doing so will not block the
sound of squealing tires or crashing metal. Same goes for camera work. There
is no correlation between what the lens sees and what the mic hears. There
is also no analogy between zoom lenses and shotgun mics.

Danny Grizzle