[MacDV] Re: Recommendations for Camcorder Mic

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 4 09:06:46 PST 2002

I love the analogy, but it isn't entirely apt. I agree that high
expectations of a $55 mic are prob a setup for disappointment. But there
are highly directional microphones, called supercardioid or "shotgun" mics,
that do a better job of cancelling peripheral audio than the relatively
omnidirectional mics on camcorders. AKG makes some goodies, but if your
requirements are less specific, any supercardioid, even a relatively
inexpensive one, will provide some improvement.

There is, of course, one variable not addressed by these mics, and that is
proximity. There's nothing like getting the mic close to the source to
increase selectivity. So on that score, the wireless lavalier is a great
bet. But if you can put a mic closer to the action, ANY kind of mic, you
will see an improvement. Even a very nondirectional PZM (flat) mic, close
to the source, will be better at picking up conversation, than a
camcorder-mounted mic far away.

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com