Super 8 -> miniDV transfer

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Thu Dec 12 09:58:54 PST 2002

I'm looking at getting a variable-speed super 8 movie projector so I can
transfer a bunch of old movies to video.  One projector has "variable
speed" but goes from 14 to 24 frames per second.  From what I've heard,
it's better to run it at 30 frames per second to match the video better.
 Is that true? (If so, I'd better keep looking...)

(I actually bought one projector already, but its internal take-up
reel, while handy, can only handle 250' of film, and most of my old
films are on 400-foot reels.  Bummer.  Anybody need one? :)

By the way, it seems like the optimal way to digitize old film would be
to have an adapter that can continuously feed the film through a film
scanner (so that you get an image that is 8mm wide by 400 feet long),
generate the sequence of frames from that image, and then you've got it.
 If you watch it in a Quicktime movie on a computer, you could go ahead
and watch it at the original 24 frames per second.  If you wanted to
export to DV, you could choose to run it at 29.8746324 frames per second
(or whatever that odd value is), i.e., make the motion a little faster,
or use some interpolation algorithm to run it at "regular" speed.  Does
such a thing exist?  Just wondering.