[MacDV] Super 8 -> miniDV transfer

Illovox Media illovox at oz.net
Thu Dec 12 10:22:34 PST 2002

on 12/12/02 9:58 AM, Randy Wilson at WilsonR at fonix.com wrote:

> I'm looking at getting a variable-speed super 8 movie projector so I can
> transfer a bunch of old movies to video.  One projector has "variable
> speed" but goes from 14 to 24 frames per second.  From what I've heard,
> it's better to run it at 30 frames per second to match the video better.
> Is that true? (If so, I'd better keep looking...)

No.  The motion will look very odd.  Use a projecter w/ either a 5-bladed
shutter or a rotating prism.  Or, snap individual digital shots of ech frame
from a projector with a low heat bulb (so as not to burn film) but this
procedure is time consuming.  Short of Rank job, best to just use a 5 bladed
shutter equipped projector and an aerial transfer box

> (I actually bought one projector already, but its internal take-up
> reel, while handy, can only handle 250' of film, and most of my old
> films are on 400-foot reels.  Bummer.  Anybody need one? :)

Sure.  Make, model?

Some of what some are looking for is here:

http://www.moviestuff.tv

RV