Super 8 to mini DV transfer--links to sources--MacDV Digest #1795

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri Dec 13 00:58:00 PST 2002

I did a quick sherlock search (as most of us can/could have) and turned up
these:

Contrary to the comment at the bottom of the post which prompted this
reply... http://jl-site.com/Super8/Super8Gate.html  has a list of and links
to locations that have Rank Cintel super 8 gates... updated to 2001.

See also same site and http://jl-site.com/Super8/TelecineServices.html

The link to Super 8 Sound in Beautiful Downtown Burbank (to use a phrase
from the Super 8 period) http://www.super8sound.com/us/tele_frm.htm
shows the company does offer Rank Cintel flying spot scanner transfers to a
variety of formats including DVCAM and Mini-DV.

According to http://jl-site.com/Super8 /

Film and Video Transfers, Inc.  http://www.TheTransferStation.com
added a Super 8 Gate for its Rank Mark III flying spot scanner in the summer
of 2001.  The website doesn't list that (appears to have been built in 1997
and not updated since) or DVCAM or Mini-DV formats, but you can click on the
e-mail link or call them.

There may be others below... I just dragged addresses over... did no real
checking.

http://www.posthouse.com/SUPER8.html
http://www.film-to-video.com/
http://www.film-to-video.com/services.html
http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/filmtrans.html
http://www.super8filmmaking.com/s8vid.htm
http://www.art-of-living.net/
http://www.cfilmvideo.com/
http://www.reflix.com/regular8.html
http://www.videographics.net/transfer/
http://www.super8guy.com/
http://www.videoccasions-nw.com/voftrans.html

And to take this thread in a totally different direction... let's boom over
to:

http://home.pacifier.com/~tmnathe/boom.html

and build your own camera boom.

One thing I'd suggest adding is a mechanism for keeping the boom from going
BELOW a pre-set elevation.  This will help you keep the boom from
accidentally (or otherwise) conking someone on/in the head... particularly
not good when doing some of the swoops popular at awards shows.

Hope this is helpful...

Ted.