FW HD's that work with iMovie?

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Fri Dec 13 07:44:37 PST 2002

On 12/13/02 at 5:13 AM -0800, Macintosh Digital Video List wrote:
>From: David Crump <davecrump at mac.com>

>I wanted something semi-portable, and shelled out for a QPS Que!M3
>100GB 7200RPM Drive about 6 months ago...  To my dismay, it
>hasn't worked well for movie editing at all.  The biggest problem is
>trying to edit with iMovie.  I really can't get any work done because I
>can't seem to empty the trash in iMovie after cropping film.  The hard
>drive just makes my system hang.  It is interesting, because I can make
>it come back to life for a few seconds by plugging the camcorder into
>the other firewire port on the hard drive, but it just ends up hanging
>again.
>
>Anyone had similar experiences?  Is it the drive, or do I need to format
>differently?
>If it is my drive, what are some better brands that will work well with
>iMovie?

>P.S. I'm running OS X.1.5 on a 466 MHz G3 iBook with 320 MB RAM

The pluggin/unplugging part makes me think there is an
incompatibility between the FireWire bridge in your hard drive, the
camcorder, and/or the iBook. Most FW HD problems relate to the bridge
being used. Some bridges are better for DV than others. I would
suggest calling a place that specializes in video editing, and ask
what they suggest.

I think LaCie has (had?) a good reputation for video-editing drives.
Granite Digital is another reliable (though not video specific)
vendor. Regardless, Que is not known for their quality control or
service.