Pre-formatted music CDs

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Fri Dec 13 07:57:58 PST 2002

I have no experience with stand-alone CD recorders, but this is what
I have read about them:

Stand-alone CD recorders generally allow the user to record only on
"music" CD-R discs. They won't record on "data" CD-R discs. Computers
that have CD burners can record either type, AFAIK.

When you purchase blank music CD-R discs, you are also paying a fee
to the music industry, en lieu of license fees. That's the main
reason they are more expensive.

I don't believe that music CD-R discs are pre-formatted as we
normally understand that term, but they do have something on them
that the stand-alone recorder looks for to verify that it is
authorized to record on them.

I've never seen any mention of a method to somehow modify a data CD-R
or RW disc with a computer to make it recordable in a stand-alone
recorder.

AFAIK, a stand-alone recorder/player can still PLAY a data CD-R disc
that contains music recorded on a PC.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>