[MacDV] Pre-formatted music CDs

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 13 08:12:17 PST 2002

>I just learned about a new situation about which I need more info.
>Apparently there are music CD player/recorders made by RCA (and I
>assume, others) which require pre-formatted CDs.
>Can anyone tell me if regular blank CDRs and CDRWs can be formatted on
>one's computer  for this purpose, and if so, how?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Carl

So called Audio CD's or CD-Music blanks are required. In recent days,
they're not a whole lot more expensive than regular CD blanks though. These
are required in audio CD recorders like those made by Phillips, et.al.,
and I believe they are a response to the record industry's desire for
royalties on potential dubs of commercial recordings. Most units have a
copy-protection device installed that prevents digital disc-to-disc copies,
though analog copies are possible on the dual-deck units. I use them for my
own recording projects in my studio.

Some time ago, a friend mentioned some technique for using an Audio CD to
bypass the system and then use a regular CD blank, but I don't recall it.
Anyway, at that time, standard CD-R blanks were cheap and CD-Audio blanks
were two bucks apiece, no longer the case. I buy mine at Sam's for
convenience, but decent deals are everywhere.

Bobbo

19 new Nature images online at  http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice over -- http://www.bob-vo.com